Connect with us

SPORTS

Rising Judo Star: The Journey of Lorenzo Longhi

Published

on

By


Another star was born, sportingly speaking, in Capiago Intimiano: his name is Lorenzo Longhi14 years old, and two weeks ago he graduated as Italian judo vice champion in the Beginners B A1 category.

The interview

An extraordinary result that projects the young athlete to the top levels of Italian judo, despite the relationship with this discipline being born almost by chance:

«Lorenzo started judo at four years old – says his mother, Debora Catalano – Initially, however, he wanted to do karate, except that for that discipline you can only start from six years old and up, while for judo it is recommended to start at four years old, so we signed up in Montorfano, at Tokyo 64. Now Lorenzo does five training sessions per week, two in Montorfano and three at the Guardia di Finanza gym in Camerlata.”

A path that led him to excel in the discipline and in his category already at this age:

«It wasn’t the first time that I participated in a national level competition – Lorenzo himself takes the floor – Last year I took part in the A2 championships and I placed third, while on 9 December, in Ostia, I participated as a first year in the category of B rookies and it didn’t go very well: I arrived around tenth position, losing two races. But now I’m in my second year, which is also my last, in the category and in Jesolo things went decidedly better.”

A weekend to remember on Saturday 8th and Sunday 9th June at the Tourist Building. A weekend that led Lorenzo to play his cards to become Italian category champion:

«I had five matches in total – said the young man – I won the first four and unfortunately lost in the final. I didn’t expect to get to the end, also because looking at the ranking I was 12th in the standings, so there were potentially over 10 guys more favored than me. What motivated me was seeing that the first place winner made a mistake and lost the match.” READ FULL STORY HERE>>>CLICK HERE TO CONTINUE READING>>>

From there the push to beat all the opponents who came along his path, at least until the final:

«The feeling of putting the silver medal around my neck was wonderful – continued Lorenzo – But even before the final, knowing that I would definitely medal, I was already very happy. Then, clearly, I was disappointed at having lost the final: I had come one step away from victory and therefore I couldn’t help but think about it.”

However, there remains a wonderful undertaking which, due to one detail, might not have materialised. In fact, the day before the usual weighing, Lorenzo had an excess kilo and had to lose it with a workout based on fatigue and a lot of sweat, putting on as many t-shirts, thermal shirts, sweatshirts and kimonos as possible.

«I dedicate this medal to my dad, my mom, my coaches (Enzo Price e Luca Guerrazzi, ed.) and to the guys I train with in the gym. Now the goal is to win another medal next year so I can also become a black belt.”

2024-06-23 18:05:14
#kilo #win #silver #Italians #Lorenzo #Longhis #feat

READ FULL STORY HERE>>...CLICK HERE TO CONTINUE READING>>>
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

SPORTS

Argentina coach slams chaotic ‘scandal’ at Olympic soccer match vs. Morocco

Published

on

By

The head of Argentina’s soccer federation said the chaotic ending to its Olympic soccer match against Morocco on Wednesday “makes no sense,” and coach Javier Mascherano called the scene “a scandal.”

The opening match of the men’s soccer tournament was suspended for nearly two hours during added time after Morocco fans invaded the field and threw bottles in protest of a late goal by Argentina. The goal was later overturned by the video assistant referee, and Argentina lost 2-1.

“What happened on the field was a scandal. This isn’t a neighborhood tournament, these are the Olympic Games,” Mascherano said.

Paris organizers said they were trying to “understand the causes and identify appropriate actions” after the match in Saint-Etienne. Argentina’s soccer federation said it issued a formal protest Wednesday to world governing body FIFA and would do “what is necessary” to guarantee the safety of players.

“Having to wait almost two hours in the dressing room, after Morocco fans entering the pitch, the violence that the Argentina delegation suffered, our players having to warm up again and continue to play a match that should have been suspended by the main referee, is really something that makes no sense and that goes against the competition rules,” Argentina Football Association president Claudio Tapia said.

The Argentina team also said its training base was robbed before the game, with a watch belonging to midfielder Thiago Almada among the items taken.

Meanwhile, Argentine President Javier Milei arrived Thursday in Paris, his office said, and is expected to meet French President Emmanuel Macron after tensions escalated between their countries over the Argentine soccer team’s derogatory post-match chants about French players at Copa America.

Morocco fans rushed the field to protest Cristian Medina’s goal in the 16th minute of added time at Stade Geoffroy-Guichard, which appeared to tie the game at 2. Bottles also were thrown from the crowd and, in frenzied scenes, security tackled fans on the field.

“Some of the fans thought it was the end of the match and decided to invade the pitch,” Thomas Collomb, the deputy director of security for Paris organizers, said Thursday. “The atmosphere was festive. At no time was there any security risk for players or spectators. Within minutes of the final whistle, a security bubble formed around the athletes.”

There were images of Argentina players flinching when what appeared to be a flare was thrown onto the field.

“I can understand why this might have been worrying for Argentine athletes,” said Bruno Le Ray, the organizing committee’s security director. “Stade Geoffroy-Guichard is known for having no barriers between the stands and the pitch. To our knowledge, no firecrackers were fired at any time. It’s definitely an incident, but not in the security sense.”

Morocco defender Achraf Hakimi wrote on X: “I deplore the attitude of certain supporters during the match, which tarnished the image of our loyal fans. Such behavior has no place in football.”

In the confusion, it was believed the final whistle had been blown when players headed to the locker room and fans were told to leave the stadium. FIFA’s official website declared the final score 2-2. READ FULL STORY HERE>>>CLICK HERE TO CONTINUE READING>>>

But it later emerged that the game had been suspended with just minutes of play remaining and that Medina’s goal was being reviewed.

The players re-emerged to warm up in an empty stadium after about two hours and referee Glenn Nyberg confirmed he was reviewing video of the goal on the touchline monitor. He then confirmed it would be overturned for offside.

Morocco held on for the win as the teams played out the final three minutes.

“The game was suspended because of security. At no moment did they talk to us about any revision (of the play),” Mascherano said.

“Obviously it’s confusing, but we have to move forward. It’s already happened, it’s over. We have to focus on the two games (remaining). Save up the anger and let it all out in the coming games.”

Two-time gold medalist Argentina was one of the pretournament favorites and was aiming for more hardware after winning the World Cup in 2022 and back-to-back Copa Américas.

On Saturday, Morocco is scheduled to face Ukraine at Stade Geoffroy-Guichard.

“We’ll make sure we reinforce security by adding barriers or private security,” Le Ray said.

Reporting by The Associated Press.

[Want great stories delivered right to your inbox? Create or log in to your FOX Sports account, follow leagues, teams and players to receive a personalized newsletter daily.]

FOLLOW Follow your favorites to personalize your FOX Sports experience Argentina Summer Olympics Get more from Argentina Follow your favorites to get information about games, news and more in this topic Argentina
2024-07-25 19:02:55
#Argentina #coach #slams #chaotic #scandal #Olympic #soccer #match #Morocco

READ FULL STORY HERE>>...CLICK HERE TO CONTINUE READING>>>
Continue Reading

SPORTS

Real Betis Sells Majority Stake in Basketball Team to Grupo Hereda, Aiming for ACB Return

Published

on

By

Real Betis announced on Thursday that it has sold 99.9% of the shares of Real Betis Baloncesto SAD to Grupo Hereda. The new basketball team will keep the crest, colours and name until 30 June 2029.

We want to make a winning team that can return to the ACB and for this great city to recover elite basketball

The Betis club has released its first team and all of its youth teams. On the other hand, the Real Betis Foundation maintains the basketball schools, which have 30 locations and more than 2,000 young people enrolled.

Pedro Fernández, CEO of Grupo Hereda, has sent a message of hope to the fans: “We want to build a winning team that can return to the ACB and for this great city to recover elite basketball. Real Betis Baloncesto is one of the benchmarks of national basketball, a historic club, but we are going to need everyone’s support to achieve this goal.”

On the other hand, Ramón Alarcón has highlighted that Betis “wants to continue to contribute its grain of sand and that is why we maintain our connection with the project by giving up our brand, our crest and our colours”. READ FULL STORY HERE>>>CLICK HERE TO CONTINUE READING>>>

JOIN OUR NEWSLETTER

Thank you for subscribing to the newsletter.
You will receive the first newsletter in your email in the next few hours.

There was a problem with your registration.
Please try again later

The email you entered is not valid.
Please try again

2024-07-25 17:23:31
#Betis #sale #basketball #section #official

READ FULL STORY HERE>>...CLICK HERE TO CONTINUE READING>>>
Continue Reading

SPORTS

European Football Championship: UEFA punishes seven national associations for racism at the European Championship

Published

on

By

The European Football Union (UEFA) has imposed fines on seven national associations following racist incidents at the European Championships in Germany. The association announced this in a statement. The associations affected are Albania, Hungary, Austria, Slovenia, Romania, Croatia and Serbia, as their fans were noticed for racist behaviour at matches in the tournament in June and July. In some cases, UEFA also imposed a ban on the sale of tickets for the next away match in a UEFA competition.

According to the association, Croatia must pay 50,000 euros, Romania 40,000 and Serbia, Slovenia, Albania and Hungary 30,000 each. Austria was fined 20,000 euros.

The punishment against Austria relates to the match against Poland on June 21, as the Austrian news agency APA reported, citing the national association. According to the report, it was about a banner held up in the fan block with the inscription “Defend Europe” – the title of a campaign by the right-wing extremist Identitarian Movement. The banner cannot be attributed to the organized fan scene of the national team, the Austrian association announced after the match.

more on the subject

Z+ (subscription required content); European Football Championship: Ten lessons from Euro 2024

Z+ (subscription required content); European Football Championship: The 52 moments of the European Football Championship READ FULL STORY HERE>>>CLICK HERE TO CONTINUE READING>>>

Z+ (subscription required content); European Football Championship: At the end the big fireworks

The behaviour of Hungarian fans in the group match against the German national team on 19 June in Stuttgart was also investigated. UEFA did not provide any further details, particularly regarding the other penalised associations, in its statement.

The European Football Championship took place from June 14 to July 14 in ten German cities. The DFB team was eliminated from the competition in the quarter-finals against Spain – the eventual tournament winners.

The European Football Union (UEFA) has imposed fines on seven national associations following racist incidents at the European Championships in Germany. The association announced this in a statement. The associations affected are Albania, Hungary, Austria, Slovenia, Romania, Croatia and Serbia, as their fans were noticed for racist behaviour at matches in the tournament in June and July. In some cases, UEFA also imposed a ban on the sale of tickets for the next away match in a UEFA competition.

READ FULL STORY HERE>>...CLICK HERE TO CONTINUE READING>>>
Continue Reading

Trending

error: Content is protected !!