Connect with us

IN-THE-NEWS

Labour And FG to Meet Before Minimum Wage Will Be Transmitted to NASS

Published

on

By


 

Festus Osifo, President of the Trade Union Congress (TUC) has given an update on the new minimum wage.

 

According to Vanguard, Osifo said labour and the Federal Government were in talks before the bill on a new national minimum wage was forwarded to the National Assembly by President Bola Tinubu.

 

Osifo confirmed that labour has had meetings with the Minister of State for Labour and Employment, Secretary to the Government of the Federation and other government officials to ensure that the new minimum wage would “cater to the needs of the poorest of the poor.”

 

He spoke at the Petroleum and Natural Gas Senior Staff Association of Nigeria (PENGASSAN) Women Commission maiden Annual Convention in Abuja on Tuesday with the theme: “The Dynamic Woman: Navigating Challenges in a Constantly Evolving World.”

 

Talks on a new national minimum wage has stalled following the decision of President Tinubu to consult with stakeholders before send the bill to the NASS.

 

While the Federal Government and Organised Private Sector (OPS) agreed on N62, 000 as the new minimum wage, labour insisted on N250, 000.

 

Osifo said some level of “internal work” was ongoing before the bill would be submitted in “earnest.”

 

He stated: “The minimum wage negotiations cannot be dead. The 2019 minimum wage (that has expired) took about two years to see the light of day. We started the negotiations in 2017.

“We promised you when we started in January (this year) that we will ensure this one is fast – tracked for us not to be in the conundrum that we were in 2019 which took two years. READ FULL STORY HERE>>>CLICK HERE TO CONTINUE READING>>>

“So where we are today, we submitted the divergent position in June, when we did that you know clearly that Mr President came out to say that he wanted to consult across board which is the governors, local government chairmen, organised private sector and labour, so we are doing some level of reachout and conversations.

“So that what will be submitted to the National Assembly will actually be a minimum wage that will cater for the poorest of the poor, so for the fact that in the media we are not shouting, we are doing some level of internal work so that this bill will be submitted in earnest soon.”

 

Osifo also said the country would continue to experience fuel scarcity until some logistics problems are addressed.

 

He said: “About a week ago, if you are driving between Aviele and Auchi you will realise that some people sleep on that road for days, the road is completely cut off, so if you are bringing fuel from Port Harcourt and coming to Abuja, you need to pass through that road depending on where you are bringing the products from.

“The roads as of today are very bad, if you check different part of the world, how many countries are using tankers to supply premium motor spirit (PMS) or AGO, it is not done. Naturally, what is done is the use of pipelines and in some cases they use rails and if you go to some western world, you see rails that are having over 2,000 tanks, railway lines whether it is rainy or dry season, it is okay.

“So until we imbibe technology and fix our pipelines and oil depots because that is also key, if the depots that we have in the nooks and crannies of Nigeria are all working we could have had reserve stocks in these depots, so that when our roads are bad, we can use those depots that are closer to the cities for supplies, then when the roads are good, you can restock them and go back to business as usual.

“We must be able to deepen the facilities of the oil and gas logistics because if we don’t do that, perennially we would have these challenges. Last year we had the whole of Lokoja cut off, so for tanks coming from Lagos, Calabar, Abeokuta, Port Harcourt where are they going to pass, it will be difficult so we must be able to sit down and define our distribution value chain in the oil and gas sector.”

 

National Chairperson of PENGASSAN Women Commission, Comrade Ada Mbanaso said the commission had positively impacting the lives of many women and children in various communities.

 

“Initiatives such as ‘Back-to-School’ projects, donations to orphanages and old people’s homes, empowerment of widows and small-scale business owners, celebration of boy/girl child on children’s day, skills acquisition programs for women in rural areas, and menstrual hygiene/mental health campaign, exemplify the commission’s commitment to social responsibility and community development,” she said.

 

Mbanaso said the PENGASSAN women commission was committed to championing the advancement of women within PENGASSAN and beyond.

“We are passionate about expanding our advocacy efforts, promoting gender equity, empowering more women to take up leadership roles, fostering a supportive environment for professional development, and addressing emerging challenges faced by women in our industry,” Mbanaso said.

READ FULL STORY HERE>>...CLICK HERE TO CONTINUE READING>>>
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

IN-THE-NEWS

A Remarkable Achievement – President Tinubu Congratulates Fola David For His Guinness World Record Feat

Published

on

By

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has applauded Dr. Fola David on achieving the Guinness World Record for the largest drawing ever made.

The president took to his Instagram story to praise Dr. David’s remarkable achievement, stating: READ FULL STORY HERE>>>CLICK HERE TO CONTINUE READING>>>

“Congratulations to Dr. Fola David for completing his attempt at making the world’s largest hand-drawing by an individual, ‘Unity in Diversity.’ We are filled with great pride and admiration for this accomplishment.”

Dr. Fola David responded with gratitude, posting on his Instagram page: “Thank you, Mr. President @officialasiwajubat”

post

READ FULL STORY HERE>>...CLICK HERE TO CONTINUE READING>>>
Continue Reading

IN-THE-NEWS

Prince Louis has a ‘two-year wait’ before following in Princess Charlotte’s footsteps

Published

on

By

Prince Louis was obviously absent from his siblings’ separate royal trips last week, and one expert revealed how long it will be until he can join them.

According to an expert, Prince Louis will have a “two-year wait” before he can follow in Princess Charlotte’s footsteps with exciting trips.

Princess Charlotte attended Wimbledon with the Princess of Wales last Sunday, and Prince George joined Prince William in Berlin for the Euros 2024 final that evening.

Cameron Walker, a royal specialist, discussed George and Charlotte’s trip last week with Svar Nanan-Sen on GB News’ The Royal Record Podcast.

Louis was absent from both trips, with the Prince and Princess of Wales’s youngest child most likely being cared for at home.

Regarding the six-year-old, Svar stated, “One royal child who was not at England’s Euro 2024 defeat or Wimbledon was Prince Louis.

Princess Charlotte went to Wimbledon last week with mum Princess Kate

“This has caused quite a stir online, with many calling for justice for Prince Louis. He’s still only six, we have to remember. READ FULL STORY HERE>>>CLICK HERE TO CONTINUE READING>>>

“Charlotte made her first appearance at Wimbledon when she was eight, so he’s got to wait a couple more years. But Kate did say last year when George and Charlotte went to Wimbledon without Louis, that he was very upset about it.”

Although fans were unable to see Louis at either event, the Prince and Princess of Wales used social media to tell what their baby son has been up to, sharing a cute photo of him and Charlotte.

Regarding the image of Charlotte and Louis wearing personalized football shirts, Mr Walker added: “We did get a lovely photograph taken by the Princess of Wales on the Sunday evening of when George and William were in Berlin for the Euros final, but what was lovely was seeing Prince Louis with his big sister, Princess Charlotte, and the Princess of Wales in their private grounds in Adelaide Cottage, we believe, and watching the England game.”

Kate and Charlotte were joined by her sister, Pippa Middleton, for last week’s Wimbledon Men’s Final.

The post Prince Louis has a ‘two-year wait’ before following in Princess Charlotte’s footsteps appeared first on Timeless Life.

READ FULL STORY HERE>>...CLICK HERE TO CONTINUE READING>>>
Continue Reading

IN-THE-NEWS

Gunmen Kill POS Operator, Cart Away N3M In Aba

Published

on

By

A POS operator, Blessing Chilaka has been reportedly killed by gunmen in Aba, Abia State.

 

It was gathered that Chilaka was shot dead while on his way home after closing his shop at Umuojima Junction in Osisioma Ngwa Local Government Area of the state.

 

According to reports, he was ambushed by the armed men who shot him and made away with his N3 million, leaving him in a critical condition.

 

He was rushed to a private hospital and later transferred to the Federal Medical Centre (FMC) Umuahia where he succumbed to his injuries. READ FULL STORY HERE>>>CLICK HERE TO CONTINUE READING>>>

post

 

 

READ FULL STORY HERE>>...CLICK HERE TO CONTINUE READING>>>
Continue Reading

Trending

error: Content is protected !!